In its history the municipality has counted up to five schools! A 6th one was even considered at one point in Le Puy.
Until 2005, and apart from the Sisters’ school in St-Jean, there were no buildings specifically built for teaching. The children of the village were taught in old houses, a manor, a mansion…
The mansion la Mure
After the Revolution, the mansion was sold in two shares. In 1852, Mr Jean Nigay who owned a share, donated it to the village to set up a school for boys, where they were taught until 1997. At the same time, a classroom was used for the fine arts activities of the pupils until the opening of the school group in St-Jean.
The house Bedin
This house, still known as the Bedin house served as a school-house for girls. The name of Mr Abel Bedin is found in an act of donation dated April 21, 1872. He and his sister were appointed as Mrs Massard’s heirs. « Widow Massard, born Bedin, donates a house and outbuildings and a garden located in the village of St-Maurice to the village of St-Maurice-sur-Loire to be specially and exclusively assigned to the existing school of girls, in the village of St-Maurice under the name of hamlet school, approved by decision of the Minister of Public Education dated 26 June 1878
The Bedin family gave this house and all its furniture to the village to open a state school for girls there. In spite of two interruptions, the building stopped being used for the school in 1971. More recently, after housing a country gîte, the building was sold to a private individual in 2005. Inside, some elements of decoration evoke the Renaissance past: a very beautiful spiral staircase, a mullioned window and a dovecot testify to the past richness of this residence.
The school of the Marist or lower school
The Marist brothers settled in this building and stayed there until 1903. The building remained a school until 2005 when the new school was built. It was then sold in 2006 to a private individual who converted it into apartments to rent.